March 8, 2016
Do you have a first aid kit at your house? Think about why you do.
It’s so you have the ability to help yourself or someone you care about in case something happens.
The first aid kit isn’t intended to solve big problems, but it can help someone who has been injured get some basic assistance before they get to a hospital.
With that in mind, do you have a dental emergency kit? Would you know what to do during a dental emergency?
And just as important, would you know who to call?
In today’s post, we will explain some handy items to have in the event of a dental emergency and a few tips on what to do.
As far as the last question, you should call the dentist at Lapalco Family Dental at 504-264-6461 if you live in or near Marrero, LA. If you are calling outside of our regular office hours, listen to the answering message to find out how to contact Dr. Landry.
If you have an emergency, we know you will want to be treated as soon as possible.
Assembling Your Dental First Aid Kit
You may be able to find pre-assembled dental emergency kits at a store or online, or you may want to assemble your own.
If you prefer a do-it-yourself approach or you are looking to buy a kit, here are some things you will want to have:
• Alcohol wipes — These are used as disinfectants. If someone has a cut, these can be used to clean and sanitize the injured area.
• Cold compress — Swelling may occur if someone receives an injury to the mouth or face. This can reduce swelling and pain.
• Cotton swabs — These can be used to clean hard to reach places or to apply substances where they are needed.
• Cotton balls — You may want to place cotton balls on the affected area to control bleeding.
• Dental floss — Some dental emergencies are the result of something getting stuck between someone’s teeth or gums. You may be able to remove the food particle or other items with floss.
• Dental mirror — Unfortunately, the source of a dental problem isn’t always easy to find. A dental mirror can help you inspect the affected person’s mouth more easily.
• Dental wax — If someone breaks or chips a tooth or a wire on someone’s braces comes loose, wax can be used to cover sharp edges or points to reduce the risk of further injuries.
• Denture adhesive — If your dental crown or bridge comes loose, this adhesive can be used to put it back in place. This is only meant as a temporary fix until you can see your dentist.
• Gauze — Gauze can be used with isopropyl alcohol to clean and sanitize. Gauze can be used to soak blood or stop bleeding, and it can be used to cover chipped or broken teeth.
• Latex gloves (or vinyl gloves for people who are allergic to latex) — If someone has a dental emergency, you want to avoid contact with his or her blood and saliva. The gloves will help protect your hands if you have to touch inside or near his or her mouth.
• Temporary dental fillings — You may be able to find this at a local drug store. This should not be used as a permanent replacement if you lose a filling, but it can be used to fill in the space until you are able to see a dentist.
Quick Tips For Dental Emergencies
Call your dentist as soon as you are able in any dental emergency.
If you have a broken tooth, find the pieces and rinse them with water. Rinse your mouth also. Keep the pieces in a container of milk.
If you have lost a tooth, pick it up by the crown. You should avoid touching the root. Again, rinse the tooth and your mouth, and keep the tooth in a container of milk.
If a wire comes loose from your braces, cover the exposed ends with wax. Then use the eraser end of a pencil to gently press the wire flat against a tooth.
Don’t Waste Time
No matter what your dental emergency is, the sooner we can see you, the more we can do to help.
Remember you can call Lapalco Family Dental in Marrero, LA, at any time. You can reach our office at 504-264-6461. If your emergency occurs outside of our regular hours, listen for the recording to find out how to reach Dr. Landy as soon as possible.
No Comments »
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.